Thursday, July 21, 2011

A (Stranger's) Bridal Shower...

I'd like to say I'm a pretty helpful person, so when J asked (implored, perhaps) me to create cupcakes for a bridal shower she was throwing I had to say yes. Perhaps it was my love of making cupcakes, or maybe it was just J's desperate plea and relentless pestering (I kid, I kid) but I was on the case now! J and I had several brainstorming sessions to create the perfect shower cupcakes. The bride's favorite cake was red velvet with cream cheese frosting, and since I had never made a red velvet cake, I immediately went to the web where I could research and find the tastiest option. I learned a lot about red velvet (the red color originally was caused by a chemical reaction, it contains vinegar--oh and the vinegar smells like death) and found the perfect recipe. Then, it was to figure out the perfect toppers for the bride to be. We both decided we really liked the chocolate monogram look, and thought it would be cute if I could fashion the tops of cupcakes to look like the busts of a wedding dress. Both of these things I had never attempted before, but my ever loving desire to research random topics on the computer had me figuring out the techniques in no time. A trip to the store later, and I was laden with new cupcake wares, all of which would help me create some perfect designs. After finding the best monogram "S" (bride's new last initial to be) on the *gasp* Internet, I began carefully piping out melted chocolate. Before the chocolate solidified, I adorned them with little sprinkle pearls, and added a pink royal icing flower. They were quite adorable, and I was pleased. Now it was to make the cakes and dress busts. J and I decided to have a sleepover, where we would be free to create delicious treats and so I wouldn't have to transport the cakes the next day. After a few minor setbacks (I forgot the sprinkles, J didn't have a hand mixer...) we began baking away. J was my apprentice, a role she decided she would not like to take again (I run a bit of a bakesweatshop), and together we worked into the wee hours of the morning. Again we hit a few more setbacks (I turned the skin orange--can you say too much spray tan?--,the royal icing busts kept sliding off the cakes, and there was that vinegar death smell to contend with), and consumed enough batter and icing to make our teeth hurt and to feel jittery. In the end everything turned out great! After all, J had me at "I'll pay for your supplies and feed you!"


Wedding Dress Busts. I am working to perfect the look of these for the future!

Monogram Ss. Love, love, love these!

Until next time, sweet dreams!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment